March 17, 2010: The Big Day...our Journey Begins


It was 2:07 on Wednesday March 17 and I was running out the door to go to my tennis lesson with Elena at UBC. The phone rang and up popped the Choices Adoption number, as it had so many times before. I answered and it was our new social worker, Kirstin, who was replacing Rachel in managing our adoption file. I honestly thought it was just an introduction call...so didn't think much of it. I've learned not to get my hopes up when the Choices number pops up. We talked for about 30 seconds and the phone battery started to go (must buy new phone!) so I called her back from cell. We talked a bit about her transition to managing the Bulgarian adoptions and I looked at the clock and thought I'd better get going...I'm going to be late. And then these words: "I have exciting news for you and Gunther" changed my world...our world. This was "the call." I started to pace (I'm sure I was jogging) up and down the length of my living room as she described these two little girls....Yuliya and Fana, age 4...whom we were matched with. She described them as healthy and beautiful -- and she started reading their profiles. I don't think I was able to piece together the words to form a sentence. She briefly informed me that little Fana has some behavioural issues but we agreed that it was best for her to get the profiles over to us so we could read them and see them for ourselves. It was now 2:27.

I tried to call Gunther -- no answer. I tried to call Elena at UBC tennis -- voicemail. So I ran to the car to drive to UBC. I honestly don't remember even driving. My mind was racing and i was overwhelmed with thoughts of what was happening. I got to the tennis center and I saw my friend Neil who runs UBC tennis -- how could I tell him when I haven't even told Gunther! I was busting! I ran over to Elena and told her what was happening...she is wonderful! No point in playing -- how could I possibly concentrate! Bing goes my blackberry...the email from Kirstin with their bio and pictures comes to my blackberry. My cell phone rings -- it is Gunther. Here we go.

Gunther: Hey sugles, what's up?
Cheryl: We got the call from Choices -- we received a proposal...I don't really want to tell you over the phone.
Gunther: Tell me
Cheryl: We've received a proposal for twin girls, age 4
Gunther: Silence. Holy Shit.
Cheryl: Meet me at home as soon as possible
Gunther: Silence. Holy Shit.
Cheryl: I'll see you at home in 30 minutes. Love you.
Gunther: I'll be home in 30.

I'm on the phone with Kirstin from Choices when Gunther gets home. I have the pics and bios all printed out and we sit down to go through it all. Gunther looks at their picture and I think he stared at it for 3 or 4 minutes. I watched the expression on his face as he stared at their pictures -- I believe it was in this moment that our fate was sealed. We read through their bios and had some concerns about the behavioral issues with Fana -- she is so sweet but so sad. We agreed it was a cope-able situation -- love and support would be the antidote to help her. Her sister Yuliya is beautiful, healthy, fun and playful. We look at each other -- we're doing it. God willing these will be our girls.

It is a beautiful sunny day. It is 4:30 p.m. We decide the best thing would be to go for a walk along the river. We walk in silence, and then in full discussion about what is happening and what the future holds. We sit on a bench along the river, with the warmth of the sunshine upon us. I want to remember this moment for the rest of my life. We start the process of making calls to our friends to share the news. We get back to the house at 6 -- this is really happening and I can't describe how I'm feeling...no words can describe it.

John and Christin are over -- and the Champers has been poured. Shannon and Drew come by too. We are celebrating this day that we've been waiting for years to happen! I'm on and off the phone for the next 3 hours. I think G and I are somewhat in shock without sounding overly dramatic. Twin girls. Wow. We are thrilled and anxious and nervous and excited....all in one. When we woke up on this morning, who would have known how our day would end. After all the waiting and waiting and waiting, one phone call changes everything.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cheryl!

    We met us with Gunther and Larry one one fair in Ljubljana (Slovenia) and since than we are regulary in contact. We (with my girlfriend) went out for a dinner twice, while they were there, and had really great time.

    As I know Gunther and after his talking and massages I know, that having children with you Cheryl, your own or adopted, was his probably biggest wish. And I'm so happy, that It came through! He always writes, how great time you spent on holidays.

    I know, you will enjoy your life together and I just hope, to come one day to Vancouver to visit you.

    Enjoy your life and say Hi to Gunther!

    Ziga

    ReplyDelete