THE HOUSE!!!








From the week that we returned home to Vancouver, Gunther and I have been SO busy getting our house ready for the girls. We moved my office and the spare room down into the first floor of our home...and have a brand new den all set up with lots of room for two little girls to run around.

Working on the girls play room has been such a fun and creative project! I wanted it to be colourful and filled with lots of toys and books and videos – and a place where they could just hang and be little girls. I am so happy how it turned out! We have been doing lots of research on how to best develop their language skills and there are tons of books and educational videos out there to assist with this. We’ve been informed that they should ramp on English very quickly, within three months. I’m sure we’ll be doing lots of sign language, and acting out words to communicate – which should be hilarious. We’ll see how Fana ramps on her language here. We honestly just want to them to transition and feel secure and safe and loved in their new home. We want their learning and experiences to be just fun, no pressure. We will definitely spend the first year with them at home – and they’ll join the first grade in 2011. We are so looking forward to teaching them to read and speak. We will get them into art and music programs too…maybe in the winter…good to get them around other kids too!

The last room to be decorated was their bedroom. They are going to share a room initially…all of the advice we’ve received expressed that we should keep them together in the room…after all they’re used to sleeping with 20 other kids in a room. To isolate them would probably just freak them out! Piece by piece we built their bedroom and we’re thrilled with how it turned out. We wanted it to be a soft and relaxing place for them to sleep…yet colourful and girly. Last night I just sat in their room and lied in their beds looking around...I thought about what they’ll be thinking as they lie there thinking “how did I get here!” I thought about the room I shared with my sisters…and how we used to sit up at night and talk about life…this is the room that I want to give to our girls where they grow together, have late night talks, etc. It really warms my heart!

While I have LOVED doing this house, if I don’t hold a paint brush or use an alley key wrench again, I’ll be a happy person! No seriously, after painting more than 50% of our house and putting together the assortment of kids furniture, bookshelves (which always takes me at least three time to get right) desks, etc., we’re nearly finished. To everyone who has helped us in this endeavour…from painting to helping put stuff together to all of the contributions that our dear friends have made (toys, dolls, clothes, furniture, etc.) we couldn’t have done this without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment